Keep your forklift's brake system safe with these brake maintenance tips
Many forklifts encounter harsh environmental conditions – such as extreme temperature changes and prolonged exposure to chemicals – shift after shift, day after day. This can accelerate the maintenance needs of your forklift's braking system and compromise the operation of your forklift. As a result, individual braking system components should be inspected on a regular basis to help minimize downtime and product damage.
- Brake Linings – Worn or damaged service brake linings could result in poor braking performance and damage to the brake drums.
- Brake Fluid Reservoir – Leakage from the forklift’s master cylinder fluid reservoir, fluid line or seals can lead to low or no fluid in the master cylinder and can impede proper braking.
- Brake Drums – Worn brake drums can accelerate wear of brake linings and result
- Drive Tires – Badly worn tires can result in loss of traction, stability and braking for your forklift. Foreign objects may cause tire damage and result in poor braking performance.
- Parking Brake Actuation Handle & Cable – A cracked or bent assembly of the parking brake handle can negatively impact brake operation. The parking brake cable can be damaged due to over-adjustment, which may cause the cable to stretch and function improperly.
- Parking Brake Caliper – The brake caliper found on some electric forklifts is subject to heat warpage if operated incorrectly. Worn discs may make it difficult to hold the lift truck on a grade.
- Brake Adjusters – Worn or damaged brake adjuster components, including springs and cables, can result in poor forklift braking performance.
Ring Power Lift Trucks make significant investments in professionally trained forklift service technicians, state-of-the-art diagnostic tools, completely stocked service vans and excellent parts inventory to help keep your lift trucks on the job and being productive. In the long run, Ring Power Lift Trucks minimizes your risk and keeps your lift trucks running at the lowest operating cost. Call 1-888-699-7811, click or email to order your brake components for your forklift.
We’re interested in hearing your thoughts on forklift brake maintenance – click the headline to leave a comment or send an email.
Ring Power Lift Trucks is the material handling division of Ring Power Corporation, headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida. Additional offices service Pompano Beach, Miami, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Tampa, Ocala and Tallahassee. Ring Power Lift Truck represents: Caterpillar® Lift Trucks, Mitsubishi Forklifts, Linde forklifts, Kalmar Industrial Forklifts, Princeton and Navigator piggybacks, rough terrain forklifts by Noble, and specialized products by Bendi, Big Joe and productive Cascade Attachments.