How to evaluate a used forklift and things to look for to avoid getting ripped off.
Purchasing a used forklift does not have to be a monumental expenditure, and with careful consideration, a used forklift might make fiscal sense. Even though buying used forklifts makes sense for some material handling applications, there are many benefits and pitfalls to compare and consider during the purchasing decision.
When Buying a Used Forklift Makes Sense
• Lower cost
• Avoid loss of depreciation
• Avoids long lead times
• Has some form of used warranty and/or guarantee
• Fits your material handling application because it doesn’t require you purchasing a new one
• Might come with additional parts, accessories, and other items
But Be Cautious!
Looks can be decieving, here are some tips when you're ready to buy a used forklift:
• Wear – some forklifts for sale can be completely worn out or not operable when purchased
• Older forklifts may not have the latest safety items, features and options
• Won’t last as long as a new version because there are already a number of hours on the motor, chassis and other components.
Another useful tool in your selection process is how to evaluate used forklifts. Determination should be made for what kind of forklift and any attachments that your application will require. In other words, what kind of capacity, lift height, lift weight, side shift, etc., will you need? Carefully consider the make and model because some trucks are easier to get reliable maintenance for and have greater parts availability than others. Make sure to ask for all maintenance records and if none exist, have the truck mechanically evaluated. Look for leaks in the transmission, mast and tilt cylinders, differential, radiator and engine. Test drive the unit in order to check all of its operations. Lift a load with the forklift to see how it operates under normal operating conditions and make sure all attachments are functioning properly. And lastly, evaluate the dealer you are considering purchasing from. What is their reputation? How long have they been in business? Do they have certified mechanics on staff?
With this said, finding a reputable dealer is the important link to the used forklift purchasing process. Make sure you know who you are buying from and that you are dealing with a strong company that can back their used equipment. This company should have a sound service department with qualified mechanics and have a parts department that could supply your parts orders quickly.
What Makes Our Trucks Different?
Ring Power Lift Trucks' Used Forklifts Department purchases all of its equipment from reputable venders, customers, and has the option of pulling units out of our rental fleet. We then perform the following services on each lift truck:
• Our service department performs a complete inspection and steam cleans every used lift truck.
• A condition report is generated and reviewed by the Used Forklift Manager. All necessary repairs are preformed and a complete safety check is completed to insure a Ring Power Certified Used piece of equipment.
• After the lift truck's inspection and before the unit is put in to inventory or delivered to the customer, the service department completes a final Quality Control Inspection Report.
This report insures customer satisfaction at time of delivery.
• Most important thing in this process is the paperwork from the time the unit has been purchased to the time the customer expects delivery.
The used equipment process is designed to assure you, our customer, that the used forklift you've purchased has met Ring Power Standards and is labeled as Ring Power Certified.
Used forklifts are an economical solution for the right application. Do your homework and you could save yourself a lot of money on your next used forklift purchase.
If you feel a used and reconditioned forklift will suit your manufacturing or material handling operation, feel free to browse our online inventory of used forklifts. We have a variety of pneumatic, cushion, large capacity and specialty lift trucks available. Or contact us to speak with a representative.
Ring Power Lift Trucks is the forklift division of Ring Power Corporation, headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida. Additional offices service Pompano Beach, Miami, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Tampa, Ocala, Sarasota and Tallahassee. Ring Power Lift Truck represents: Cat® Lift Trucks, Mitsubishi Forklifts, Clark forklifts, Linde forklifts, Kalmar Industrial Forklifts, Kalmar Container Handlers, specialized products by Bendi and Combilift and productive Cascade Attachments. All of these products utlized properly could help your warehousing operation to become more efficient and more productive warehouse.